Thursday, January 20, 2011

It's called Democracy in action!

So this post is going to hit close to home for me since it involves an issue that is taking place.....well close to home. In the city of Omaha the mayor, who was just elected not even two years ago, has been fighting a recall effort to get him out of office. Recently, the group who is behind the recall has gathered enough signatures to trigger an election to see if the people of Omaha want a recall election. As you can imagine there are some strong opinions on both sides making it quite the story.

My personal opinion is that I could care less about recalling the mayor of Omaha. I live outside of Omaha, so I don't even vote for the mayor anyway. However, since we go into Omaha quite frequently and my wife works in Omaha I try to pay attention to the things that go on in the big city. I personally don't feel as if he has done anything that warrants a recall but apparently there are about 27,000 people who disagree with me. So now just when I thought it was all over, I get to listen to campaign commercials again on the radio.

The problem I am having is when I see people lashing out at those who have brought on the recall. There are all kinds of things being said about the people behind it, and for all I know most of it could either be true or false, but it has nothing to do with what is being done here. What exactly is wrong with exercising your rights inside of a democratic system of election? The people who started the recall effort had every right to do so as citizens who are residents inside the city of Omaha. They were obviously not alone in their feelings about the mayor since they were able to gather the more then 27,000 signatures needed to trigger this process.

Now the residents of Omaha will vote as to whether they want to have a recall election, and if the vote passes then the mayor better break out the campaign wagons if he wants to stay in office for at least the rest of his original term. It's called Democracy folks. It's where you the citizen, the resident gets to have a say and be involved in deciding who sits in power and makes decisions. It doesn't mean you always get the person you want. It doesn't mean you get things your way right away. It simply means you get to participate and let it be known where you stand. So don't sit around complaining about those who are exercising their rights, get out there and exercise your own rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment